Media

'Matty in the Morning' co-host Rebekah 'Bex' Maroun is leaving Osculation 108 following on-air incident

"I wish you zippo only the best, always."

Rebekah "Bex" Maroun, co-host of "Matty in the Morning."
Osculation 108 co-host/executive producer Rebekah "Bex" Maroun. Kiss 108
  • 'I'one thousand here. Proficient morning.': 'Matty in the Morning' host Matt Siegel returns to show subsequently on-air blowup

  • Kiss 108 host Matt Siegel storms off show claiming censorship over Demi Lovato comments

A co-host of Kiss 108's pop radio prove "Matty in the Morning" is leaving the station, simply a few weeks after being subjected to the on-air wrath of titular host Matt Siegel.

Co-host/executive producer Rebekah "Bex" Maroun announced on Wednesday that she would be leaving Kiss 108 to movement dwelling to her native Philadelphia.

"When I moved to Boston, I wanted to brand it home, and I wanted to be hither, and spend the residue of my life here," Maroun said. "And honestly, when COVID striking, everything in my life sort of changed. I realized how much I missed my family unit and my friends and being surrounded by the people that I wanted to be close to."

Before arriving at Buss 108 in Oct 2018, Maroun previously spent six years in Philadelphia media, most prominently as a host/producer for Entercom's 96.5 TDY.

Maroun'south departure caps a turbulent month for "Matty in the Forenoon." On May 19, Siegel walked off the evidence and threatened to quit after claiming station direction told him to tone down his commentary on pop star Demi Lovato, who had come out every bit non-binary.

"I'chiliad against her binary thing; I think she's a troubled woman and a lot of young people are taking her seriously, and it bothers me," Siegel told Boston.com on May nineteen. "Simply of course, it's a comedy evidence, and so I did information technology in the context of jokes.

"We were having fun with information technology, and my boss called up and said that I'd crossed the line and they didn't want me talking virtually it anymore," he continued. "I responded past proverb, 'If I can't talk about what I'one thousand thinking at this point in my career, I don't want to be on the radio anymore.'"

Despite Siegel's proclamations, he returned to the show on May xx, saying that station management asked him not to quit and that he was told he had "full back up" and the "freedom to say what I desire." Almost the end of the May 20 prove, Siegel criticized Maroun for not posting audio from the May 19 episode on the Kiss 108 website.

"I was told that I couldn't poke fun at Demi Lovato because she might be at our Jingle Ball or something, OK?" Siegel said. "And I said, 'I'll quit before I finish doing that.' And yous wouldn't post it?"

"That was non my decision," Maroun said. "That is a decision that comes from way above me. I'm merely doing my job."

Siegel then criticized iHeartMedia, the corporate owner of Kiss 108, before turning his venom back to Maroun.

"Don't y'all always do that," Siegel said. "You work for me."

Siegel later on sarcastically thanked Maroun for not calling him most the determination not to postal service the May 19 audio, at which point Maroun said that she had in fact chosen Siegel.

"You demand to stop. Turn your mic off. Turn information technology off," Siegel said, earlier cutting to commercial.

While Siegel apologized for his behavior on the May 21 episode of "Matty in the Forenoon," Maroun wasn't on air that day to accept Siegel's apology, leading to speculation online that she had quit the station.

While Maroun did return to the show briefly in the month of May, she was off the air for much of June, leading fans to fill her social media with comments asking about her whereabouts. (Neither Maroun nor representatives for Kiss 108 responded to requests for comment for this article.)

"We miss hearing you every weekday here in Boston," wrote one Instagram user. "I have been listening for years and you are without a doubt the best producer the show has ever had."

"Miss y'all Bex," read another. "You are a breath of fresh air to stale old Matty."

Despite the on-air incident with Siegel, Maroun wished her "Matty in the Morning" colleagues the best in her departure.

"I capeesh everything that you lot guys have done. It'southward been such a privilege to be a part of this show," Maroun said. "I'm really excited: It's celebratory, it'due south kind of bittersweet, but I'm excited for what's to come up. I wish you nothing just the all-time, always."

Conversation

This discussion has concluded. Delight join elsewhere on Boston.com